Friday, January 4, 2013

The "Blind Lizard" argument

I know, it's been a while since I have posted anything. It's been a VERY busy couple months with moving suddenly (the house I was renting had black mold), having hernia surgery for the 3rd time and the holidays. I will say I made it through all of it without thinking I should pray to anyone or anything even once! I would like to take a second though and thank the good doctors and nurses at IMC for their care and professionalism. They were great!

Last Saturday as my son and I were getting ready to go to the archery range and loose some arrows at a few very deserving paper targets, we received a visit from an evangelical whackadoo. I am not sure what faith he was promoting specifically as he didn't identify himself with any organized group. He was an older man and had a young african american boy with him in tow. When I answered the door, he immediately asks me without introducing himself if "I would like to discuss god with him"?

Now, I very rarely turn down a good debate and would normally have invited he and his little buddy in for a spirited debate on religion and the existence of a supreme being. Since I was getting ready to go, (bow in hand) I wasn't really in the mood for a long discussion with him and politely said "No, thanks. I'm not a believer and this would be a waste of your time."

He stood there for less than 2 seconds and started into a tirade regarding creation and evolution. I am not sure why he went there, I didn't mention anything of the sort to him. I politely responded that there isn't a creator and that evolution proves itself, all he would need to do is examine any animal or for that matter human being and he could see evolution in action.

This is when he got weird on me: He looked at me and said "what about blind lizards?" then went on to explain how a blind lizard would die if god didn't give it eyes. I told him that there are plenty of blind animals and other life forms on the planet that do just fine. He insisted that if god didn't give blind animals eyes they would all die. At that point I knew I was dealing with a crackpot and realized that there was going to be no simple end to this conversation so I stood there mute for about three minutes as he rambled on about blind animals and gods link to them. He asked me if  that made me think that there could be a god, I simply said no it makes me think you don't know what you are talking about.

He then says "well we have stuff to do" and turned and walked away.

Has anyone else dealt with this before? I have no idea where he was going with the blind lizard argument. If it was to convice me of a creator it didn't work, it only convinced me that he was an idiot that had no idea what he was talking about.

It's good to be back. I will make sure to post more to keep you all entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment